The Town House is a Category "A" listed building of Edwardian Baroque Style. The building combines three linked structures individually constructed and separately opened in 1907 (Carnegie Library), 1914 (Town House) and 1928 (Town Hall). The Town House underwent a £9m refurbishment with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Scottish Arts Council, Historic Scotland.
The Town House re-opened as a multi purpose Arts Venue in 2004 and is a five star arts venue under the Visit Scotland grading scheme. It has facilities capable of hosting performances, weddings and social events, arts classes and courses, conferences and meetings as well as promoting varied arts and cultural events programme.
The Town House is a short walk from rail and bus links and is only 5 minutes from the M74. The Venue is fully accessible to disabled visitors and has its own dedicated disabled car parking bays. There is a public pay and display car park adjacent to the venue.
The facility is barrier free, offering level access to all areas outwith the Main Hall upper circle. There are ramps to each public entrance and entry doors with automatic control or ‘hold open’ mechanisms. The facility has 12 separate toilet facilities for the disabled and passenger lifts giving access throughout. There are low level service points, induction loop facilities at all receptions or service points. In auditoria and ceremony rooms there are infra-red hearing enhancement facilities. There are also three designated parking bays in the main car park behind the building.
Assistance dogs are welcome.